7 Comments

1. Dagmar
    February 3, 2019 @ 12:48 pm

I created a Google add-on that may be of interest. It uses Google sheets and your browser speech synthesis to speak the words. Please see it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ready-steady-spell/joliflhljdhdikoiaphebgbkkfggpofp?utm_source=permalink and let me know what you think.

2. Michael Bates
    September 30, 2019 @ 7:19 am

Hey Mr. Mac –

The instructions on how to turn off the underlining for misspelled words in Google Forms is a dead link. Do you know of another one, or can you give instructions on how to do it? I have been trying to figure out how to give Spelling Tests online for over a month now with no luck. Yours was my first hope, but since I can’t get spell check turned off in Google Forms, I’m still stuck at square one.

Thanks!

• Kms
      October 5, 2020 @ 5:01 am

I noticed that if a student uses the spell check to fix a word, that that word is highlighted in red and marked with an X. They still get the points, however. If a student fixes the word manually, then they get it correct and it’s highlighted green. I tested this several times and each time I hit the spell check my answer was highlighted in red and marked wrong. I’m not sure why else that word could be highlighted in red and marked wrong. But I would like to find out because otherwise I am assuming my kiddos were cheating.

3. Michaela curran
    October 22, 2019 @ 10:51 am

How to turn off underlining in google forms !! ? The link is dead

4. sciencegeek
    November 6, 2019 @ 8:21 am

Here are directions that I found – I haven’t tried it yet.

5. Stacey
    September 17, 2020 @ 7:06 am

Hi the link to show how to disable the red lines underneath didn’t work would you be able to describe how to do that or give me another link so I can figure out ! Thanks.

6. Selim
    September 30, 2020 @ 8:30 pm

Hey Nathan,

This is a great article. Also, we have a solution for online spelling tests. We built https://spelling-test.com/ website for teachers. Moreover, you can add your own spelling tests. Unfortunately, it doesn’t cover everything you mentioned above but we are improving it. Feel free to send us an email for tutor access, I’d like to listen to your opinions regarding spelling tests.

Cheers!